As a follow up to our popular Top 10 and Top 5 lists, we recently did an evaluation of the newspapers in terms of the publishing industry coverage: We specifically looked at the print and digital content of 50 U.S. and U.K. newspapers, judging them not only by the quality of articles and reviews in their "Books" section, but also their website features such as overall design, aesthetics and general usability of the site.
What comes next is our Top 5 picks of the best newspapers in terms of covering new books, author interviews and industry news.
1. New York Times: This is our favorite U.S. based newspaper. The articles in the Books section never disappoint the reader and the general feeling of the NY Times site is also pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate.
In addition to traditional online and print version, NY Times publishes regular podcasts about the new exciting books and interviews with notable authors.
2. Guardian: Our favorite British newspaper has a section dedicated to Crime Fictions. They usually cover European titles which might not get highly noticed in the U.S. and in a way their site is complementary to NY Times.
3. LA Times: For the ones who are looking for more coverage of the what is going on in the book world on West Coast. Like NY Times, they also publish a best seller list for fictions and non-fiction books.
4. Washington Post: We love this newspaper's book section specially on the digital side, mostly because of simplicity and predictability. There are few sections available to the users such as Recent Reviews, Sunday Reviews and Blogs and for most of time, that's about it! Readers always know what they are getting from Washington Post and are used to the few contributors' style and tone of writing.
5. Telegraph: Another notable British newspaper with a simple and beautiful design and elegantly written articles.