Scotland's first ever international crime writing festival is scheduled to take place from September 14 to 16 this year and more than 40 of the world’s greatest crime novelists are expected to come together and turn Stirling into a bloodbath on paper.
Scottish authors Alex Gray and Lin Anderson, founded Bloody Scotland to do a bit a PR for the work of crime fiction produced in their native country and get the international publishers to pay more attention to Scotland's pool of crime authors. .
According to Gray: “We wanted to appeal to an international audience and will be broadcasting these events widely…Scottish crime fiction is a brand that is international. Alexander McCall Smith and Ian Rankin are two of the world’s top 10."
The events scheduled to take place at the festival range from short story competitions to discussion panels and PR meetings. The high level schedule includes:
- 20-plus events in three great venues
- ‘Meet the author’ dinners
- Sessions on forensic technology, morality and ebooks
- ‘Pitch Perfect’
- The inaugural Scottish Crime Book Awards
- International short story competition
- Three days of literature, learning and laughter
- Guaranteed sunshine